It was a great distraction from the election to do something for an under-privileged neighboring community at risk for home fires. As part of the American Red Cross Smoke Alarm blitz, my dear friend and I distributed flyers and door tags to let people know that the AMRC will be coming around on Saturday to distribute free smoke alarms.
What a good feeling to know that perhaps this small effort will have saved a life in the future.
click here for more inspiration on how you can help.
Here are some of the stats:
Each year, the Red Cross responds to nearly 66,000 disasters, the vast majority of which are home fires.
- 7 people die every day from a home fire
- 36 people suffer injuries as a result of home fires every day
- Over $7 billion in property damage occurs every year
Can your family escape in just 2 minutes? Here are 2 simple steps:
- Practice your 2-minute drill. Make sure your family can safely escape in 2 minutes.
- It's almost day-light savings time. Check the batteries in your smoke alarms.
Regardless of what one of the presidential candidates says, America is already great. Volunteer in your community -- if only an hour a month -- to contribute to making our country even greater.